Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Meyer Lemon and Cinnamon Scented Flan

I have this friend, even better folks - she is family, she is sweet like sugar, yep - she is mother - in - law, Mama B.

See Mama B. is a very passionate person. I love it. She is about as passionate as she is energetic, I enjoy spending time with her, she will run circles around me all day long then give me a massage after which she will sing you a song while playing her new ukulele. That really happens.


She is as talented as the day is long.

Mama B lives on a big ranch in the big 'ole state of Texas, I imagine she chases dogs, probably gets tussled by a few mutts and I hope she watches the sun set on the big open country sky.


She is fueled by her many passions which include....... none other but a deep and wide soft spot for caramel. She probably tastes like caramel if you lick her. Don't go lickin' her now!

Someday I will feature her secret technique for making caramel, I promise next time I am in the Lone Star State I will feature Mama B.'s special sauce.


The lady is gaga for the timeless sweet treat. GAGA. I can't look at anything that has caramel in it and not think of her. This makes it hard passing up caramel when it is around, just thinking about her getting excited about it makes me want to share in the enjoyment.


I made this flan for J and I. I wish I could have shared it with Mama B. the caramel would make her dance.


Besides caramel there is the subtle scent of cinnamon and lemon. J loves cinnamon, I love Meyer lemons. It works out.


The J and I both don't care for sugary treats late ate night, I will take a good night sleep instead.  Usually, we save desserts for the morning hours.

Flan happened this morning. Just sayin' - what did you have for breakfast?  Betcha not flan....


Since this flan is neither sweet nor heavy - I am going to go out on a limb and say flan is a perfectly acceptable breakfast. Healthy eggs, whole milk, a little bit of sugar. Brain fuel. Just trust me on this one. It is a serious treat paired with coffee. Breakfast flan - I can see/smell the wheels turning! It is the next big breakfast rave because, honestly if I read about poached eggs on toast or toast with spinach and poached egg.... well there are plenty of good uses for eggs....



Meyer Lemon and Cinnamon Scented Flan
 
 
Adapted from Food and Wine
Makes 4 medium sized ramekins. Can be made ahead of time and refrigerated for 2 days.
 
2 1/2 cups whole milk
 
Peel of  a Meyer Lemon
 
3 medium cinnamon sticks, broken
 
1 cup sugar 
 
1/4 cup water
 
5 large eggs 


  1. Preheat the oven to 300°. Set 4 ramekins or custard cups in a medium baking pan. 
  2. In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, lemon peel and cinnamon sticks and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and let stand for 15 minutes; discard the lemon peel and cinnamon stick pieces.
  3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, cook 1/2 cup of the sugar with the water over moderately high heat, stirring just until the sugar dissolves. Lower the heat to moderate and let the sugar syrup simmer, without stirring, until a deep amber caramel forms, about 15 minutes. Immediately pour the caramel into the ramekins, tilting them as necessary to evenly coat the bottoms.
  4. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar. Slowly whisk in the warm milk, then strain through a fine sieve into a large measuring cup or a bowl. Pour the custard into the ramekins. Pour enough hot water into the baking pan to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for about 40 minutes, until a knife inserted into a flan comes out clean. Transfer the ramekins to a rack and let the flans cool to room temperature. Refrigerate the flans for at least 4 hours or overnight.
  5. To serve, run a thin knife around each flan. Top each flan with an inverted dessert plate and unmold, letting the caramel run over the flans. Serve at once.

 There you have it folks, breakfast eggs. Just brilliant eggs in sugar and milk! FLAN. Check out Kitchen Play for other great breakfasts featuring eggs and thank you American Egg Board for the idea!

8 comments:

  1. I love a little bit of dessert for weekend mornings. I think that started with my own Grandma, she use to say after eating her eggs, "you know I would love a touch of sweet" and sure enough she would find some in the kitchen. Something she had made. Nice story, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely. I would love to have Mama B.'s caramel recipe! In fact, I just opened a jar of store-bought caramel tonight and as soon as the seal popped I regretted not making it myself. It's a good quality brand, but still, I want to spend some time with this recipe: http://bit.ly/l03eB
    I love your blog, Michelle. The pictures and words are always so very scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meyer lemon is my favorite lemon as it is sweeter then any other. Your flan looks so smooth and silky. Really is PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the simplicity of the custard (only eggs and milk!) with the subtle yet spicy flavors of citrus and cinnamon. I'll use this recipe next time I make flan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this flan sounds so different from any other I've ever eaten. That lemon would really make this delicious. I have a sweet treat linky party on my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link your flan up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice surprise! I was reading your blog and suddenly realized your sweet words were about the ol' "caramelholic" me! It is my bed time and all I can think about now is caramel. But just knowing you love me will calme me down and help me go to sleep. (like I ever needed help sleeping) I am so glad you are my very own precious daughter-in-law. Michelle, I love you more than caramel!!!! Ten times more! 199 times more! A million times more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is brilliant. Not only does it showcase eggs, but it's pretty simple. And delicious! Who could ask for more?

    Thanks for playing and good luck!

    Best,
    Casey

    ReplyDelete

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS.....